Tins of tuna are definitely a regular feature in my weekly shop – as is tinned mackerel and salmon! I’m a big fish fan, and of course I much prefer fresh fish where possible. But having the tinned variety in the cupboard is so handy for a protein packed boost to any salad or sambo. Recently I was feeling a bit bored with just adding tuna to my salads, so I decided to make something a bit different with these burgers! I’ve seen many tuna and courgette fritters recipes, so I decided to pair tuna with one of my absolute favourite green vegetables – broccoli! This is a great meal prep recipe too, so you can save the other half of your batch for your lunch the next day!
Recipe (Makes 2 Servings – 6 Small Burgers)
- 2 x 1 serving cans of tuna (I use the brand John West), drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp medium chili powder
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup of broccoli florets, washed
- 1 whole egg
- 2 tbsp oat flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven), and line a baking tray with greased tinfoil (I just drizzle a little olive oil on the foil and rub it in to stop the burgers sticking).
- Take a large mixing bowl, and add the tuna chunks, red onion, spices and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Stir with a spoon to combine.
- Using a power blender (I use my Nutribullet) or food processor, blitz the broccoli florets until they’re ground down in texture.
- Add this to the bowl, followed by the oat flour, and mix everything again.
- Crack the egg into a little bowl, and whisk it a little using a fork to break up the yolk.
- Tip the egg into the bowl, and mix one final time.
- Using a big spoon and your hands a little, form 6 burger patties, and place each one onto the baking tray.
- Cook the tuna burgers in the oven for 20 minutes, and when done, allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving, or saving in a tupperware overnight for your lunch the next day!
Enjoy guys! I hope you like this recipe as much as me! Tag me if you try it out, you know I love seeing your creations! I’m @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x