This falafel and farro combination is a great summer salad to whip up during a meal preparation power hour! I LOVE falafel, and think they are fantastic to have in the fridge (or freezer!) to pop into salads, or snack on! I’ve revamped my Chickpea Burger recipe (see link attached below) into falafels and they have turned out taste-tastic with farro and roasted veggies. Yum! This recipe would be a great lunch dish or lighter dinner.
Recipe (Serves 4-5)
- You’ll be using the recipe for my Chickpea Burgers, but instead of making 2 big burgers, you’ll be making 12 small falafels and baking them in the oven for the same amount of time as my original recipe – simple! Just use your hands to shape the mixture into small falafel balls and bake them on a tray as you would for the original recipe.
- When the falafels are done, leave them aside to cool while you cook the rest of the salad.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium courgette
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 aubergine
- 1 handful of raisins or sultanas
- 200g of uncooked (dry) farro
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with tinfoil (greased with a little olive oil).
- Prepare your veggies by washing them, de-seed the pepper, chop the heads off the courgette and aubergine, and then dice them all up into one-inch chunks. Chop the courgette into coins, then half those, and quarter the halves. Tip the veggies into a large mixing bowl, drizzle the olive oil on top and toss them in the oil. Pop the veg onto the baking tray and roast the veggies for 20-25 minutes, turning them halfway. When the veggies are done, leave them aside to cool.
- While the veggies are baking, cook the farro according to the package instructions.
- When the farro is cooked, drain it and add it to your mixing bowl. Pop the raisins/sultanas in, then add your veggies and mix everything up together.
- You’re good to go! Make up your salads by adding a serving of the farro and veg mix to a bowl or lunchbox, pop 3 falafel balls on top, and tuck in! This recipe should make 4-5 servings depending on how many falafels you add to each lunchbox.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x