This recipe is a super versatile option – it can be a lunch or dinner on its own (combined with a meat/fish/tofu/other protein source if you like!) or a side dish salad. I hope you enjoy it!
Recipe (Serves 4-5)
- 3 tbsp green pesto
- 1 handful of walnuts
- 1 pack or jar of pitted black olives (probably about 12)
- 250g of pasta of choice
- 3 salad tomatoes, sliced into wedges
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 2 cups of broccoli florets, washed
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, then when done, drain and set aside to cool for a few minutes. You can speed up the cooling by running a quick blast of cold water onto the pasta in the colander.
- While the pasta is cooking, boil the kettle, and when it’s ready, pop the broccoli florets into a small bowl, and (being careful with heat!) pour the boiled water on top, to blanch the broccoli. Leave the broccoli in the water for about 5-7 minutes, then drain it and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the olives, sliced pepper, tomatoes and walnuts.
- Add the blanched broccoli florets next.
- Add the drained cooled pasta and toss everything to mix it up.
- Finally, add the pesto, one tablespoon at a time, and stir to mix it into the salad with each scoop.
You’re good to go! Serve as a side dish (maybe for a barbeque!) or as a lunch or dinner on its own (feel free to add a serving of meat, fish or tofu with it for a more complete meal!). I added some feta to this salad for a few handy lunches for work.
As always, tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x