Baked beans loaded into sweet potatoes… NOM. Nutrient dense comfort food if I ever heard of it! Let’s get cooking gang, this recipe, is a super simple, quick and easy meal for a weekday or weekend!
Recipe (Serves 3)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil of choice (I use extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 tsp mild chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp of soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of water
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and diced into 1 inch chunks
- 1 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 400g tin of cannellini beans
- 3 medium size sweet potatoes, washed and sliced down the middle (i.e. half them lengthways).
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven). Line a baking tray with tinfoil greased with a little olive oil. Roast the sweet potatoes for 30-40 minutes – check them at 30 minutes, stick a fork in the middle, and if it comes out clean you’re good to go!
- While the sweet potatoes are roasting, you’re gonna cook the beans!
- Take a medium-sized pot, and heat the olive oil in it on a medium heat, then add the garlic and onion. Cook them for 3-4 minutes to soften the onion.
- Add the spices next, and cook for another 3-4 minutes to coat the onions in them.
- Add the tinned chopped tomatoes, soy sauce/tamari, water and honey. Add the chopped red pepper, and stir to mix everything.
- Add the cannellini beans next, and mix them in.
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat all the way down and simmer the beans for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a splash or two extra water if needed. Turn off the heat after 10 minutes.
- When the sweet potato halves are done, remove from the oven (taking care in the heat). Pop two halves onto a plate per person (depending on the sweet potato size!), and scoop a serving of the beans on top. You’re good to go! Feel free to top the dish with some soured cream, or natural yoghurt (my favourite!).
Enjoy guys – tag me if you try this recipe out, @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x