It’s September, which means back to school, back to college, and for those of you who had the summer months off, back to work! Having a few nutrient dense snack recipes in your back pocket is a great idea for this busier time of year – I made these oat bars as a twist on my Blueberry & Oat Flapjacks recipe using Apple and Ginger as the star ingredients. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
Recipe (Makes 10 Bars)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp honey
- 100ml milk of choice
- 150g oats (I use Flahavan’s Quick-Cook oatlets but use whatever you prefer)
- 1 Pink Lady Apple
- 2 bananas
- 1 handful of raw mixed nuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C (fan oven), and line a baking dish (square ideally but it’s fine if not!) with grease-proof paper or tinfoil greased with a little olive oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric.
- In a smaller bowl, mash the bananas until quite liquid-like in consistency.
- Add the mashed bananas to the bowl of dry ingredients, and mix them in until fully combined.
- Add the milk and honey, and mix both in.
- Slice the apple into quarters, and then slice the quarters into small pieces. Add these to the batter and stir them in.
- When the oven is ready, scoop the mixture into the baking dish, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. At 30 minutes, check the flapjacks – insert a toothpick or fork into the mix, and if it comes out 99% clean, you’re good! If not, give them another five minutes bake time.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing up, serving, eating, or freezing a batch for a new week ahead!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x