This recipe was created on a Saturday night, when I had a craving for a dish with aubergines, and wanted to use butter beans too, it was as simple as that! I love the spices in this recipe – they’re among my absolute favourites, and I hope you like them, and this dish too!
Recipe (Serves 3)
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 heaped tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp mild chili powder
- 200ml of water
- 1 x 400g tin of butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and diced
- 1 aubergine
- 1 bell pepper (whatever colour you like!)
- Prepare your veggies (wash and chop the onion, pepper and aubergine) and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a pot on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften the onions.
- Add the rest of the veggies to the pot, followed by the spices, and stir everything up so the spices coat the veggies.
- Add the red wine or balsamic vinegar, then the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and water, and stir it all up again.
- Season, then add the butter beans.
- Bring to the boil, and then turn the heat down to a simmer, pop a lid on the pot and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring halfway.
- You’re good to go! Serve with brown rice, or with sweet potato (my favourite!), or simply a side of greens for a lighter meal.
Enjoy guys! I hope you like this dish and as always, tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x