This recipe is a vegetarian twist on my Chicken and Chickpea Tagine recipe, with a mixture of colourful vegetables and delicious almonds and apricots! Let’s get cooking!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp of olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- Optional: ½ tsp of sumac (if you have it – I get mine in Tesco!)
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper (whatever colour you like!)
- 1 medium courgette
- 1 aubergine
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of tomato puree
- 300ml of water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 big handful of dried apricots
- 3 tbsp of flaked almonds
- 1 heaped tbsp of harissa paste (If you don’t have it, the recipe is still delicious!)
- Wash and prepare the veggies – the onion, aubergine, pepper and courgette. Slice the courgette into coins (remove the head first!), slice the aubergine into 1-inch chunks (again, remove the head first!), and de-seed the pepper, slicing it into bite-size pieces. Peel and chop the garlic clove.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to a large pot and set to a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Next, add your spices – turmeric, cinnamon, coriander and cumin (and sumac if you’re using it) – and stir until the onions are coated.
- Add the veggies next and stir everything up to get the spices onto the veggies too.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, harissa paste, tomato puree, honey, water and chickpeas. Get that arm action going and stir everything up until combined.
- Season with the black pepper and sea salt and bring to the boil. Then turn the heat down to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- Now you’re good to go! Tuck in and appreciate the tagine-tastic vibes!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x