In case you didn’t know, I LOVE brussel sprouts. They are one of my favourite ingredients to cook with during the Christmas holidays, and so of course I had to bring you a new seasonal recipe to spread the sprout joy! This is a handy recipe to use for leftover sprouts and carrots from your Christmas dinner – with a plant-based protein kick added using chickpeas, and a tasty crunch from walnuts and apples too!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, head removed and sliced into coins
- 1 bowl of brussel sprouts, washed and stems removed
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 green or red apple, chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 big handful of raw walnuts, chopped into pieces
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (non-fan oven). Line an oven tray with tinfoil greased with a little oil.
- Tip the sprouts and carrot coins into a big mixing bowl. Add 1 tbsp of olive or rapeseed oil and stir to coat the carrots and sprouts in the oil.
- Spread the sprouts and carrots onto the tray, and when the oven is ready, pop it in and roast the veggies for 30 minutes, turning them halfway through. The brussel sprouts should be a bit crispy when you take them out. Leave aside to cool.
- Tip the chickpeas into another bowl. Add 1 tbsp of olive or rapeseed oil and toss the chickpeas in it using a spoon. Add the apple pieces and the cinnamon and stir everything again.
- Roast the chickpeas and apple chunks for 15 minutes on a second lined roasting tray, turning them halfway.
- Remove the chickpeas and apple pieces from the oven – the chickpeas should be a little crispy. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the veggies to a big mixing bowl, and then add the chickpeas and apple pieces.
- Lastly, add the walnuts.
- Get mixing! Stir all the ingredients together using a big spoon.
- Done! Serve and tuck in, or add to lunch boxes or Tupperware containers if you’re saving this dish for the next day (or a few days!)
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x