This week, I wanted to mix up the veggies in my weekly shop, so I decided to get creative with mushrooms! This is a super one-pot dish you can make ahead and save portions of for the week ahead – or feed a few hungry mouths in one go!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 garlic cloved, peeled and diced
- 1 heaped tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp fenugreek
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 bell peppers, core and stem removed, de-seeded and sliced into bite-size chunks
- 3 handfuls of washed spinach leaves
- 200g of buttom mushrooms, stems removed, washed and sliced
- 1 x 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp of honey
- 1 x 400ml tin of coconut milk (full or low fat, whichever you prefer)
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Prepare the garlic, onion and veggies, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pot on a medium heat, then add the garlic and onions. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are softened.
- Add the spices to the onions and stir to coat the onions in them.
- Add the remaining veggies except the spinach, and stir.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and mix them in.
- Add the chickpeas and honey, and stir again.
- Next, add the coconut milk and mix it in.
- Finally, add the spinach leaves, and allow them to wilt into the curry.
- Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring every so often to ensure the curry doesn’t stick to the pot.
- During this time, you can prepare the side dish you want to have with the curry – brown rice, quinoa or spelt work well!
- Note: Portions of this curry can be cooled and then frozen for later consumption (defrost fully before consuming!), or you can store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x
2 thoughts on “Mushroom, Spinach and Chickpea Curry”
Mushroom, spinach and chickpeas curry. “Add the water “, you forgot to say how much.
Thank you! I’ll correct that.