A super simple recipe with lentils as the star ingredient – this is quite like a bolognaise in texture but with different flavours. I hope you enjoy it!
Recipe (Serves 5)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 250g packs of pre-cooked lentils (I used an Aldi brand but Merchant Gourmet do a nice pack too)
- 200ml water (or vegetable stock)
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium size carrot, stem removed and peeled
- 1 bell pepper, core removed and de-seeded
- 1 courgette, stem removed
- A pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Peel and then chop your garlic finely, and then the veggies (into bite size chunks), and set aside.
- Next, set a large pot on a medium heat, and add the olive oil.
- Cook the red onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes in the oil, until softened.
- Add your spices and herbs, and cook for another few minutes so the onions are coated.
- Add the rest of your veggies and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Time to add the liquids – pour in the chopped tomatoes, water/stock, tomato puree and balsamic vinegar, and stir everything up together.
- Finally, add the lentils and season with sea salt and black pepper, stir and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat to the lowest setting, and cover.
- Cover the ragu again and cook on a low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with spaghetti, tagliatelle or fettucine pasta – or your preferred pasta type, those just happen to be my favourites.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook.
Ciara 🙂 x
4 thoughts on “Simple Lentil Ragu”
Hi Ciara, fab recipe!
Not sure you meant to say sausages on step 9 though? 🤔
LikeLiked by 1 person
Right you are, edited 😊 Enjoy!