I’ve got a special recipe for you guys today – oat cookies featuring two of my favourite foods – walnuts, and dark chocolate! These cookies are a chocolately twist on my classic Banana Berry Breakfast Cookies – they’re a great snack option you can grab on the go, and also make a delicious dessert with a couple of scoops of yoghurt too!
Recipe (Makes 12 Cookies)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 heaped tbsp nut butter of choice
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 150g of quick-cook oats (I use Flahavan’s)
- 2 medium sized ripe bananas
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 50g of good quality dark chocolate, broken up into small pieces (go for 70% or higher – my favourite is 85%!)
- 1 large handful of walnuts, broken up into small pieces (my favourites are the Tesco or Aldi 85% bars, very cheap too! Lindt is also delicious but slightly more pricey).
- Optional: 1 tbsp milled flax or chia seeds (you could add pumpkin or sunflower seeds here either!)
- Pre-heat the oven to 175C. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper (if you don’t have any, just line it with tinfoil and grease the tinfoil with a little olive or rapeseed oil!)
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl – oats, cacao powder, walnuts and seeds (if adding seeds) – and stir until combined.
- Mash up your bananas until almost liquid in consistency.
- Add the banana mash to the bowl, and mix until all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Add the milk and honey, and stir again until the wet ingredients are fully mixed with the dry ingredients.
- Finally, add the dark chocolate chips and fold them into the batter.
- Scoop out fist size balls of cookie batter using a spoon, and place each onto the baking tray. Flatten the ball out a little so it makes a rounder cookie shape to bake!
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, then leave to cool for 30 minutes (have patience!)
- Flick the kettle on, and tuck into to give your cookies a taste test with a cuppa!
Note: Store in a sealed Tupperware or other container for up to 4 days. You can also freeze these cookies – ensure they are fully defrosted (give 24 hours) before consumption.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you give these cookies a go – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x