When deciding what to make for lunches this week, I thought, what sort of salad recipes do I always drool over when I’m out for lunch? And what came to mind was this recipe, Aubergines, chickpeas, sweet sumac, greens, and a creamy tahini dressing. YES PLEASE. Let’s get cooking!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of sumac
- 1 aubergine, stem removed and sliced into coin shapes
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed and chopped into bite-size chunks
- 3 handfuls of spinach leaves, washed
- For the tahini dressing: Combine 2 tbsp tahini with the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 tbsp of boiled hot water and 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Line two baking trays with tinfoil greased with a little olive or rapeseed oil.
- Add the sweet potato chunks to a big mixing bowl, drizzle a little oil on top and add the cinnamon. Use a spoon to stir the sweet potatoes and ensure all are somewhat coated in the cinnamon.
- Tip the chickpeas into a small bowl, and add the sumac with a little oil. Toss the chickpeas in the bowl so they’re coated in the sumac.
- When the oven is ready, spread out the sweet potatoes onto the tray.
- Take the second tray, and spread out the aubergine coins, and then add the chickpeas.
- Roast the sweet potatoes and aubergines in the oven for approximately 30 minutes – the aubergines may take less time, while the sweet potatoes may take longer. Turn the aubergines and sweet potatoes halfway through. The sweet potatoes will be done when you can easily pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork. When done, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for about 10 minutes.
- The chickpeas will probably only take 15-20 minutes to roast, so you can remove them from the oven earlier and similarly allow to cool.
- Take a large mixing bowl, and add the chickpeas, sweet potatoes and aubergine coins to it.
- Add the spinach leaves. Toss the salad so the ingredients are combined.
- Make the tahini dressing and set aside.
- Pour the tahini dressing on top. Stir again. If you like, you can have the dressing on the side, whichever you prefer!
- Give the salad a stir once more, and you’re good to go!
- You can add this salad to Tupper-wares/lunchboxes to have the next day or take to work/college/school/on the go, or serve as it is (it makes a nice side salad too)! It should keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Enjoy guys! As always, tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x