This is a lovely recipe you can make ahead of a new week and save a few portions of. Chili is one of my favourite recipes and this creation is a bit of a twist on it with pasta added and some feta crumbled on top – yum!
Recipe (Serves 5)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 red onion
- 2 bell peppers (aim for two different colours!)
- 1 medium courgette
- 1 400ml tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 400g tin of mixed beans or 1 400g tin of red kidney beans or black beans
- 300ml water
- A twist of black pepper & a pinch of sea salt, to season
- 150g of feta, crumbled up
- 150g of wholemeal pasta or other pasta of choice
- Prepare your veggies first by washing and dicing them up and setting them aside in small bowls (onion, garlic, peppers, courgette). Peel and finely dice the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pot, and add the onions and garlic, and fry until the onions are translucent.
- Add all of the spices to the onions and cook for another 3-4 minutes until coated.
- Add the courgette and peppers, stir again, then add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and water, and mix it all up until the veggies are fully coated in the spices – another 5-ish minutes.
- Next, add the beans, and stir again.
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt and a twist of black pepper, stir again and then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover the pot with a lid.
- Leave to simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring the chili 2-3 times during this period.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (non-fan oven).
- During this time, cook the pasta according to package instructions, and then drain.
- Add the pasta to the pot and then stir to mix it in.
- Add the pasta and chili mix into a square baking dish and ensure it is evenly spread out.
- Sprinkle your feta on top!
- Place the square dish in the oven (when the oven is ready) for 15-20 minutes. Yours may be done sooner – at 15 minutes, have a peek. If the sauce is bubbling and the feta has melted down, you’re good to go – remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve up and tuck in!
- You can store portions of this bake in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s also suitable for freezing – ensure it is defrosted fully before consumption.
Enjoy guys! Be sure to tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x