This is a lovely recipe you can make ahead of a new week and save a few portions of. Chili is one of my favourite recipes and this creation is a bit of a twist on it with pasta added and some feta crumbled on top – yum!
Recipe (Serves 5)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 red onion
- 2 bell peppers (aim for two different colours!)
- 1 medium courgette
- 1 400ml tins of chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 400g tin of mixed beans or 1 400g tin of red kidney beans or black beans
- 300ml water
- A twist of black pepper & a pinch of sea salt, to season
- 150g of feta, crumbled up
- 150g of wholemeal pasta or other pasta of choice
- Prepare your veggies first by washing and dicing them up and setting them aside in small bowls (onion, garlic, peppers, courgette). Peel and finely dice the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pot, and add the onions and garlic, and fry until the onions are translucent.
- Add all of the spices to the onions and cook for another 3-4 minutes until coated.
- Add the celery, mushrooms and peppers, stir again, then add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and water, and mix it all up until the veggies are fully coated in the spices – another 5-ish minutes.
- Next, add the beans, and stir again.
- Add a sprinkle of sea salt and a twist of black pepper, stir again and then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover the pot with a lid.
- Leave to simmer for about 15-20 minutes, stirring the chili 2-3 times during this period.
- During this time, cook the pasta according to package instructions, and then drain.
- Add the pasta to the pot and then stir to mix it in.
- Place the square dish back in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Yours may be done sooner – at 25 minutes, have a peek. If the sauce is bubbling and the feta has melted down, you’re good to go – remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve up and tuck in!
- You can store portions of this bake in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s also suitable for freezing – ensure it is defrosted fully before consumption.
Enjoy guys! Be sure to tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x