As an kid growing up in America, I LOVED peanut butter and jam sandwiches. I’m pretty sure I called them ‘sammiches’ but whatever! These breakfast bars are a throwback to my childhood favourite combo – PB&J!
Recipe (Makes 16 Bars)
- 200g of oats
- 3 tbsp of milk
- 2 bananas
- 2 tbsp honey
- 200g blueberries
- 2 heaped tbsp of peanut butter (or other nut butter of choice)
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- Optional: I added extra raw almonds – feel free to add your favourite nuts or seeds for a tasty crunch!
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (fan oven). Line a square baking dish with grease-proof paper (if you don’t have any, just line it with tinfoil and grease the tinfoil with a little olive oil!)
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl – oats and cinnamon +/- nuts/seeds – and stir until combined.
- Mash up your bananas until almost liquid in consistency.
- Add the banana mash to the bowl, and mix until all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Add the honey and milk, and stir again.
- Add the peanut butter/nut butter, and stir to fold it in.
- Place the blueberries into a small bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Taking care with the hot bowl, add the blueberries to the batter, and fold them in.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and smooth it out so it’s evenly spread.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, then leave to cool for 30 minutes.
- Serve with a cuppa tea or coffee for breakfast, or wrap up a couple of these to take on the go! I love to have mine heated up with a couple of scoops of yoghurt.
- These can be stored in a seal container in the fridge for up to 4 days, or you can freeze them (ensure defrosted fully before consumption).
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook.
Ciara 🙂 x