In my family home, Friday night is usually Fajita Night. Since moving away from home, the ceremony of this meal shared together is definitely something I’ve missed, and so recently I decided to try to recreate a vegetarian version of it – using one of my all-time favourite ingredients, chickpeas! I have a version of our original family recipe on my blog using sweet potatoes – you can find that here. This chickpea recipe is very handy for lunches or a meat-free dinner either!
Recipe (Serves 4)
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp medium chili powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 white or red onion
- 2 bell peppers (aim for different colours), de-seeded, core removed and sliced lengthways
- 1 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 wholewheat wraps or wraps of choice
- Optional for serving: Guacamole/sliced avocado, soured Cream/yoghurt, salsa/tomatoes, sliced Lettuce, grated cheese of choice
- Peel and slice the onion into length strips, then de-core and de-seed the peppers, and slice those into strips.
- Peel the garlic clove, and finely chop it.
- Take a large frying pan, and add 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil, and set the pan on a medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add the chickpeas, and a splash of water, and stir.
- Add the peppers, and cook for another 5 minutes until the peppers are softened.
- Add all of your spices, and stir for another 4-5 minutes to coat the chickpeas, onions and peppers in the spices.
- You’re good to go! Serve with your wraps, and dish out the chickpea, pepper and onion mix onto your, then top with whatever additions you like, I’ve suggested quite a few above – guacamole/avocado, soured cream/yoghurt, salsa/tomatoes, lettuce and/or cheese!
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x