I’m gonna be honest guys, I had a craving for tagine this weekend and I am absolutely delighted with this week’s tasty creation – I hope you guys enjoy it too!
Recipe (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of sumac
- 1 tsp of ground turmeric
- 3 tbsp of tomato puree
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped into coins, then quarter the coins
- 1 courgette, stem removed, chopped into coins, then quarter the coins
- 1 aubergine, stem removed and sliced into bite size pieces
- 1 x 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 500g of minced lamb
- 200ml of water or stock
- 1 handful of dried apricots or sultanas (or a mixture)
- 1 handful of chopped or flaked almonds (to serve)
- Fresh mint, to serve
- To serve: Couscous, quinoa, or brown rice)
- Wash and prepare your veggies as above. Set aside. Slice the dried apricots in half and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium size pot, then add the chopped onions and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are softened, then add the veggies and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lamb, and cook until slightly browned.
- Add the spices, and stir for another 5 minutes to coat the beef and veg in them.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and water, and stir everything to mix it all together.
- Bring the tagine to the boil, then turn the heat all the way down to the lowest setting, add the apricots, stir them in and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the tagine is simmering, cook your chosen side dish.
- After the simmer time you’re good to go! Add the mint on top to serve.
Enjoy guys! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x
3 thoughts on “Moroccan Style Lamb & Chickpea Tagine”
Nice food 👍