Happy EASTER gang! I’ll keep this intro short and sweet – I’ve adapted my Coconutty Carrot Cake recipe for your Easter Sunday baking into a lovely Carrot Cake Squares recipe – I hope you enjoy it! Remember you can freeze a batch of these and save them for snacks for the week too!
Recipe (Makes 12 Squares)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil (you could sub coconut oil if you like!)
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 banana
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup or honey
- 70ml of milk of choice
- 2 tbsp of coconut flour
- 150g oats, blended into flour
- 1 medium sized carrots, washed, peeled and grated
- 4 tbsp dessicated coconut flakes
- 50g walnuts or pecans (or whatever you have!), roughly chopped
- 1 handful of sultanas
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (fan oven). Line a square baking tin with grease-proof paper or greased tinfoil, and set aside.
- Take a large mixing bowl and add the dry ingredients to it – oat flour, coconut flour, coconut, nuts, baking powder and spices. Save a little bit of the nuts to pop on top!
- Take a blender or food processor, and blend your wet ingredients except for the carrots – eggs, banana, oil, vanilla extract, maple syrup/honey and milk.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet. Stir until you have a batter consistency for your cake.
- Finally, add the grated carrot and sultanas, and mix again until combined.
- Pour the batter into your baking tin, sprinkle some extra chopped nuts and sultanas on top, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Insert a tooth pick at 30 minutes, and if it comes out 90% clean you’re sorted! This is my baking rule always! If not, then give it another 5 minutes in the oven.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing up and tucking in!
Enjoy guys, and Happy Easter again! Tag me if you try these out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x