I ADORE beetroot. Recently, with summer around the corner, I decided I wanted to get a little PINK into my breakfast oats – and what better way to do that than with beetroot! Overnight Oats are my favourite weekday breakfast, and blitzing up the milk with cooked beetroot adds colour, sweetness and the micro-nutrient goodness of beetroot into an already nutritious breakfast.
Recipe (Serves 2 – so just half the recipe if you’re making this for one!)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cooked beetroots plus 2 tbsp of the juice (from the jar you can buy is the easiest way to whip up this recipe!)
- 100g of oats (I use Flahavans oatlets – my favourite!)
- 300ml of milk of choice
- 2 handfuls of blueberries
- 2 tbsp nut butter of choice
- 1 handful of raw walnuts (or substitute your favourite!)
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Using a blender, blitz up the milk, honey and beetroot (I use my Nutri-bullet to do this). Set aside that gorgeous frothy pink milk for now!
- Add the dry ingredients to a resealable tupper-ware or bowl if you prefer – oats, cinnamon and walnuts.
- Add the pink milk mixture to the dry ingredients, and stir to combine. Add a splash extra milk or water if you like your Overnight Oats with more liquid.
- Store overnight in the fridge (cover the bowl with tinfoil or a plate if you’re using a bowl), and in the morning, top your portion with the berries and nut butter, and enjoy!
I hope you guys enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoyed tucking into it! Tag me if you try it out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x