Okay. I admit it. I’m a little bit obsessed with turmeric. If you follow this blog or my Instagram, that confession won’t be a shock to you! It’s one of my top 5 favourite spices to cook with – and recently I’ve expanded that to baking too! At Christmas, my hilarious family decided to use my turmeric addiction as inspiration for a present – so on Christmas Day, I unwrapped a gorgeous Turmeric Cookbook! No joke! And guess what? It’s AMAZING! They may have been half-kidding, but I think they knew I would secretly love it. Since Christmas, I’ve been a bit of a foodie fiend trying out recipes from it, and it’s been a creative delight! As a result, I’ve decided to share some of the recipes I’ve come up with inspired by this beautiful book. Starting with THIS Turmeric Banana Bread!
Recipe (Makes Approximately 10 Slices)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp whole chia seeds
- 1 tbsp cacao nibs (or you could use dark chocolate chips!)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 whole eggs
- 200g quick cook oats, blended into flour
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C (fan oven). Line a baking tin with grease-proof paper or tinfoil greased with a little melted coconut oil.
- Take a large mixing bowl, and add the dry ingredients – oat flour, baking powder, spices, chia seeds, cacao nibs and cacao powder.
- Take a smaller bowl, and combine the wet ingredients – melted coconut oil, eggs and mashed bananas.
- Create a well in the centre of the mixed dry ingredients and pour the wet mixture in. Stir until you have a golden batter, and all the dry ingredients have soaked up the liquid,
- Tip the batter into the baking tin, and smooth it down using the back of a spoon.
- When the oven is ready, bake for 45-50 minutes, checking at 45. If a toothpick comes out 99% clean when you insert it, you’re good to go! My typical baking time is 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes once done, then slice it up and tuck in! You can freeze slices of this loaf too.
Enjoy gang! Tag me if you try this recipe out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook! I’m definitely going to continue on my turmeric-inspired recipe series – I hope you’re as in love with this spice as I am! If not – I’ll convince you 🙂