Today guys, we’re re-making an oldie but goodie! Many of you will have seen my Yellow Split Pea Cashew Dahl on this blog, and recently I decided to change up the recipe a little – simply because I couldn’t find any yellow split peas in any store! So, on a whim, I picked up a pack of butter beans, and tried my hand making the dahl with those! The result? A TOTAL success. So good, I’m making it for my work meal prep TWO weeks in a row! A lot of you have been asking for the recipe, so I decided to slightly remix the old version with this one! It also is vegetarian and vegan-friendly – so for those of you taking on a Veganuary Challenge, I’ve got you covered with this delicious feast! Let’s get cooking!
Recipe (Serves 5)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 400ml tin of coconut milk (I used Light Coconut Milk but it doesn’t matter which!)
- 300ml water or vegetable stock
- 1 red onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 cup of broccoli florets, washed
- 2 handfuls of spinach leaves
- 250g Butter Beans (The non-tinned kind because they’ll cook in the sauce, I buy mine in Super Valu! You could use tinned ones!)
- 200g Unsalted Cashews
- A pinch of sea salt & black pepper
- Boil the kettle, empty the cashews into a bowl and just about cover them with the boiled water. Leave to soak for about 15 minutes while you start cooking the dahl.
- Dice up the red onion, broccoli and bell peppers and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot, and add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until translucent.
- Add your spices – garam masala, turmeric, cumin, chili, ginger and cinnamon – and stir until the onions are coated.
- Next, add the chopped vegetables and butter beans, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk to the dahl, plus the water/stock. I use water usually, but stock would add a little more flavour. Mine tasted pretty damn great with water so don’t stress if you don’t have stock ‘in stock’!
- Stir everything up and add a little extra water/stock if you feel it needs it.
- Bring to the boil, then cover the pot and turn the heat down to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- After 30 minutes, tip your soaked cashews WITH the liquid you used for soaking into a blender cup or food processor, and blitz until you get a creamy texture.
- Turn the heat off the dahl.
- Finally, pour the cashew cream into the dahl. This is my FAVOURITE part – the dahl becomes super thick and a gorgeous colour too!
- Toss in your spinach leaves, and stir until they’re wilted just a little.
- Finished! Serve with rice, or with greens or an alternative grain of your choice! This is a GREAT recipe to make for a group, and even better for meal prep!
Enjoy guys! I hope you love this cheeky little dahl remix as much as me! Tag me if you try this one out – @theirishbalance on Instagram/Twitter/Facebook!
Ciara 🙂 x